Wednesday 9 December 2009

Evaluation

The overall idea of my work came to life nearly 8 weeks ago and was finished and shown to my peers on the 4th of December.

To begin the project, you had to come up with an idea you could use for an experimental video. It took me about a week to come up with a decent idea and stick to it, After much thinking i decided i was just going to do a simple video based on randomness. The idea i came up with was a dinosaur seeking out a pot of mushy peas, it was completly original and looked like it could be a good video. Before i could start off making it into a real life video , i had to sit down and write up all my ideas in pre production work, i had to do a rough storyboard to show how i wanted my video to be and what would happen during it. The bit i struggled with the most was the concept. After a lot of thinking i decided to leave my concept idea for a while until i was sure what i wanted it to be. Overall, it took about 2 weeks to complete the paperwork to a decent and high standard.

Since i completed the paperwork i was ready to film my video. I had to buy my props and i managed to film it all during one day. I really enjoyed doing the filming because i wasnt being told what to do; it was completly my choice and in my time. The filming itself was really straightforward and simple because i didnt want to use any fancy camera angles for my first project since i wasnt at the time comfortable with using a video camera. All i did for my video was do one take of the whole of thing and really simply just moved the dinosaur closer and closer to the pot of mushy peas which gave off the effect of it walking. It was at this i point i realised that i had my concept. It was about wanting something you cant have and i think i showed that in my video. Once i had completed my video i had to take the equipment back to college and start to do some editing.

For me, i found editing the hardest part of this project because i wasn't familiar with using an Apple mac. For the first few days i just played around with the effects to try and find the once i wanted and after a while i decided just to do some simple editing because i didnt want it to look to edited because it would take the orignality out of my piece. All i simply did in relation to the visual of it was make it black and white which was enough for me. The next step for me was to add music to it which i did via Garage Band, it sounded like a mystic space theme which i wanted it to do. Once i had done this i was now ready to do my exhibiton.

The last part of my project was exhibiting it. I did this in the radio room at college kind of as a last resort because my original idea wasnt as good, It was on Friday the 4th of December during my last lesson of the day, what i did was ask people in my class to come and view it in the radio room. I handed out questionnaires about my video and asked them to fill it in for me once the video had finished. Overall, i got a lot of positive feedback from my questionnaires but the one thing that everyone said was to make it longer than it was which i will do next time i do a project.

I have really enjoyed doing this project and have found it quite hard sometimes but because of the simpleness it made it a lot easier. The hardest part for me was using the Apple Mac's because i wasnt familiar with it before but like anything, i got use to it after a while and it became very easy to use. The bit i enjoyed the most was the filming because it was something different and it was fun for the simple fact of it being my project to play around with. If i could change one thing it would be to make sure my video is at the best i can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment