Tuesday 8 December 2009

Experimental video diary - Day One

Since my video was only a short piece it didn't take much to film and complete it. To start off i had to make the backdrop for it, which changed from stars to just having the plain black background. I thought this would be a better thing because i wanted to keep it simple. After much brain racking, i decided to change my overall concept instead of having complete randomness i changed it to having the concept as having something you cant have and what will happen if you keep deciding to pursue it. Once i had the background to my video sorted i had to purchase the dinosaur for my piece which i ended up spending a fiver on!. The mushy peas were free from work.

Once i had gathered all my props together i started to shoot my video. I ended up asking my brother for assistance as i realised i couldn't do it on my own. I filmed while he moved the props closer together to give the effect of stop motion. To begin with i shot it from the point of the dinosaur and mushy peas standing at opposite ends of the table, the next shots were quite similar in the sense of the purpose of them. I wanted to give the effect of them walking in together to meet in a way. So i would film, stop, move them and carry on like that until they were face to face.

The next part of my video was for the dinosaur to try and eat the mushy peas but failing in doing so. What i did next was lift the lid off the mushy pea pot but making it look like the dinosaur had done so, again using stop frame. After this, my brother held the dinosaur over the pot making it look like and seem if it was climbing into the pot. The last parts of my video was the dinosaur falling into the pot of peas head first which shows it paying the price for being greedy. It then stands up with the pot on its head and cant seem to shake it off. Altogether, the film took an hour to shoot because of its length and simplicity

No comments:

Post a Comment